Archive for the Community Category
new things all around…

The in-house studio has been through a bit of an upgrade lately. I was able to score a fabulous vintage, Danish desk recently, and I am in love. My previous desk was actually an old dining room table. The shabby-and-not-so-chic table was completely drawer-less, so all of my pencils, papers and the like were strewn all over the top. It wasn’t long before the desk itself was just another excuse for procrastinating.

And what graces the top of my new desk? Well, my new Bernina Aurora 440, of course. A couple of months ago, Bernina began work on an awesome project called The Sewing Republic, which is a fun website geared towards the younger sewer. The site is in its beginning stages and now has information on all things Bernina, including a Q&A session on finding your perfect machine.

This month, they will also start rolling out projects and tutorials by Stacy Sews, Handmade Kate, Chickpea Sewing Studio, and yours truly. I am so honored that the lovely folks at Bernina asked me to be a part of this endeavor, especially since teaching sewing and pattern making has become such a large part of my life. This should be a fun ride, indeed.

p.s. don’t worry about the ominous light emanating from my kitchen doorway. I’m not getting abducted by aliens… It’s just my Aerogarden in the next room.

Weekend Happenings
If you are in the Brooklyn area this weekend, be sure and check out the grand opening of Brownstoner’s Brooklyn Flea. It promises to be the largest outdoor market in New York City and will be happening every Sunday in April this year, rain or shine, from 10 am to... Continue Reading
Handmade Nation!
Just in case you haven’t heard about it yet, there’s a documentary being made about the crafting community in the United States by Art vs. Craft coordinator Faythe Levine. I had the honor of meeting the lovely Faythe through work at the Renegade Craft Fair in ’06, but also re-met... Continue Reading
Party like it’s Halloween..
even though it’s the Saturday before. Just in case you’re in the NYC area this weekend, and find yourself in costume this Saturday with no where to go.. mosey on down to Etsy! Myself and a few other Adorn cohorts will be judging a costume contest at the Etsy Halloween... Continue Reading
Craftacular Spectacular!
I’m so excited! I was accepted as a vendor for BUST’s 3rd annual Craftacular! I was accepted last year as well, but was unable to attend so I’m super-psyched about this year. Hopefully I’ll be able to get all of the supplies I need early (unlike last year) so it... Continue Reading
Craft Mafia Swap #2 Wrap Up
Hooray for Etsy and the Craft Mafia! We had another successful swap this past weekend, mostly because of all of the great people that showed up and all of the amazing swag they brought with them. We were able to collaborate with Etsy for this time around, so the event... Continue Reading
Swap Meet!
mark your calendars!! Saturday, May 12th from noon – 4 at Archangela in Williamsburg, BK.... Permalink
Craftacular…
Still with the belly sickness… I’m not able to make it to the craftacular today. John and Kevin were lovely enough to take my things to the show for me and drop them off with the other Mafia ladies, so I wish them all the best today. if you go,... Continue Reading
I loathe FedEx.
Seriously. if I ever meet a FedEx customer service representative, I will jab my thumb into their eye. Still battling the belly virus, but I had to come to work today because I have to remake several things and start a few others from scratch. FedEx delivery guy came and... Continue Reading
It’s pronounced Heeewwston
Ahhh, Houston. How I love thee, let me count the mosquitos… upon arrival, I was instantly happy to be on familiar grounds, very eager to fill my belly with foods that would give me indigestion just from the scent. Although I grew up in the Houston area, this was my... Continue Reading
< 1 2 3