Archive for the Community Category
Wild Things… Fashion?

When I first heard that Spike Jonez was working on a version of one of my favorite childhood books, I had quite a lot of mixed emotions. I loved Where the Wild Things Are growing up, as did most kids who were introduced to it. I still have my copy in my apartment and still love it tremendously. All nervousness aside, I decided a while back to greet this movie with an open mind and heart. It seems like Sendak was intricately involved in the creative process, of which I’m greatly relieved.

To celebrate the premiere, however, Spike partnered with Opening Ceremony to create a line of fashion inspired by the movie. I have no clue how to react to this. Yes, the faux fur coats are pretty cute, but I feel as though they’re giving me a panic attack. Is this blasphemy? Is it awesome? I can’t tell. Although, I do adore seeing the wild things next to the model in the fashion photography.

Gifted by gangstas
The Crips in my neighborhood gave me a painting. I have no idea what that means.... Permalink
Back to School with Chronicle Books
On the Chronicle Books blog today there’s a wrap up of a few wish list items that I and a few other Chronicle authors would love for their back-to-school supplies. My pick was the bag above from Yellow Wallpaper that would make a perfect bookbag. Check out the post at Chronicle... Continue Reading
Artist Yu Yu Art and her tiny creations
Despite my Southern upbringing, I don’t have any plans to get married any time soon. Although if I did, I would most definitely get my cake toppers from Yu Yu Art who makes delightfully intricate characters from roving. Check out their flickr for more photos of their work, including adorable... Continue Reading
Dorm Decor on Etsy!
Today on Etsy’s blog is a project from my book Dorm Decor. Check out the tutorial from this week’s How-Tuesday to see how to make a no-sew, cut-out zebra rug. From Michelle at Etsy: College living is an extreme in decorating challenges: limited space, limited funds, and limited time. In... Continue Reading
Not your grandma’s slideshow
There were several things my family made me sit through as I was growing up, but slideshows were never one of them. Perhaps I just missed that phase in technology, or maybe my family took pity on me. A few weeks ago my friend Daniel and I went to see... Continue Reading
Happy Monday
Heather Frazier of Frazier & Wing creates whimsical mobiles and garlands.... Permalink
Whole Lotta Invite!
Awesome news: printmaker extraordinaire and author, Lotta Jansdotter, is inviting you to come and print along with her. She has two events planned (one in San Fran, the other in Brooklyn), where you can hang out with the talented lady herself and get crafty. You know I’ll be there with... Continue Reading
Californ-i-a
Ooohhh California. My knee is still healing. Officially, I was in California for Maker Faire to help man the CraftStylish booth for work. Little did I know, the weekend was also a time to catch up with friends in the Bay Area. (You can see my wrap-up of the event... Continue Reading
BUST’s Spring Fling Craftacular
BUST’s first Spring Fling Craftacular came complete with ’90s jamz (yes, with a z), a photobooth, 50 indie vendors, booze and some super tasty polish food. It didn’t seem anywhere near as busy as the holiday Craftaculars of the past couple of years, but it still looked like there was... Continue Reading
< 1 2 3 >